SUTHERLAND Shire’s only aerial firefighting truck, which can be used to rescue people from six-storey buildings, is unavailable an average of once a month because of cost cutting.
If such an emergency occurred in the shire on one of those days, a unit would have to come from Kogarah.
The truck is based at Miranda fire station, which Labor candidate in the Miranda by-election, Barry Collier, claimed had been closed 11 times since rolling station closures started last November.
Mr Collier said, in the same period, Sutherland fire station was closed 27 times.
Fire & Rescue NSW did not dispute the figures but denied public safety was being jeopardised.
- Fire Station closures put lives at risk by NSW Govt – FBEU (darinsullivan.net)
- Fire stations closed as western Sydney burned (darinsullivan.net)
- FBEU MEDIA RELEASE: Fire stations closed as NSW burns (darinsullivan.net)
- NSW budget cuts must be reversed ahead of fire season (darinsullivan.net)
- NSW Premier Barry O’Farrell – liar or just plain stupid? (darinsullivan.net)
- Closed fire stations ‘put lives in danger’ (darinsullivan.net)
- #UK firefighters to set up picket lines outside #fire stations | #FBU #strike (darinsullivan.net)
- #FRNSW closes fire station during bushfire emergency (auspolwatch.wordpress.com)
- NSW Fire Brigade Employees Union (justacceptit.wordpress.com)