You have to salute the courage of Treasury secretary Martin Parkinson and Finance Department secretary David Tune. Under serious pressure from their next political masters to produce a set of numbers favourable to the Coalition, they have stood their ground.
The bottom line of their Pre-election Economic and Fiscal Outlook (PEFO) is effectively identical to the one published 11 days ago in the government’s economic statement. Where it differs, the forecast budget outcomes over the next four years is actually $209 million better than the previous estimate.
- A slap in the face for Coalition (theage.com.au)
- Numbers are a slap in the face for Abbott (smh.com.au)
- Pre-Election Fiscal and Economic Outlook due to be released today (abc.net.au)
- Leaders campaign on PEFO release day (bigpondnews.com)
- Oppn costings after PEFO review, Abbott (news.com.au)
- Oppn costings after PEFO review, Abbott (news.theage.com.au)
- Leaders campaign on PEFO release day (news.theage.com.au)
- PEFO set to dominate election talk (news.com.au)
- Abbott pledges costings release (bigpondnews.com)