The claim: Joe Hockey says the Coalition left the country with net assets of $70 billion, whereas if it wins the election he says it will inherit debt going to $400 billion.
The verdict: Mr Hockey is making an exaggerated claim by conflating net and gross figures and ignoring the Coalition’s contribution to gross debt.
- Joe Hockey exaggerates difference between Labor, Coalition record on debt (abc.net.au)
- Former public servants to verify Coalition’s election costings (abc.net.au)
- Worse than disrespect (theaimn.com)
- Costings? They’ll bore you to death: Hockey (theage.com.au)
- Joe Hockey’s ‘please explain’ moment (canberratimes.com.au)
- Oppn costings to come late in campaign (bigpondnews.com)